Monday, July 20, 2015

Our Baby Boy, Cruz Tyler!


This is WAY overdue, but having a baby takes up a lot of your free time, so I'm just now getting a chance to write Cruz's birth story. And warning, it's pretty LONG!

Way back in April on the Friday before he was born, the 17th, I worked that day and tried to get everything all ready to go for maternity leave just in case Cruz decided to make his appearance over the weekend. I really didn't think it would happen, but I wanted to try and be as ready as possible. I left work telling Darren, "Bye! Maybe I'll see you Monday, maybe I won't!" haha!

Didn't really do much that night. I remember laying on the couch at one point and I started to feel some pain in my lower back. The first time I really had that, I thougth that maybe they were contractions, but I didn't really know.

Saturday comes and I run some errands that day. I sent this pic to Michelle and Krystal asking if I could wear these shorts in public. haha! They were the only pair of shorts I had with elastic other than workout shorts, thank goodness they fit! And they said, yes, of course!! haha Yay for sisters!



I felt like I was having Braxton Hicks contractions all day long, but didn't think much of it. We had a 40th birthday party to go to that night for Ty's friend, Aaron. So I got ready and we went to pick up our friends, Brian and Samantha. We get to the party that afternoon around 4 and by 10, I was so ready to go. I'd been having BH's all night in my belly and in my lower back and I was just worn out!

We got home and I was getting ready for bed (this might be TMI, but it's part of the story. ha!) and when I went to the bathroom to pee, I was about 99% sure that I had just lost my mucus plug. So I go downstairs to tell Ty and he was like, "What does that mean?" And I told him that that happened before your water broke and then when your water broke, you were going into labor. I wasn't really sure how soon after that happened that my water would break, so I called Krystal to ask and she said it could be hours or it could be days. So I just went to bed.

Woke up Sunday, the 19th and was still having BH's and thought today might be the day, so I made some muffins for breakfast, showered, did my hair and makeup, got my bags all packed and talked to Krystal, Tonya and Anne all day filling them in on what was going on. They all thought that I might be having for real contractions and should start timing them. So I lay down on the couch (Ty is still sleeping because we figured he would be going in to work that night) about 12:45 and start timing them. I'm thinking they were about 5 or so minutes apart.

Ty wakes up around 1 and I let him know what was going on. He sits down on the couch with me and is looking at his phone when I just feel like this big kick in my belly (which I hadn't really been feeling much movement that day and I was told that happens usually when you're about to go into labor) and then this dropping feeling and then my water breaks! Or at least I thought it did. And I said, "Ummmm, I think my water just broke!" Ty said, "Really?" and I said, "I think so!" So I ran to the bathroom, and yeah, it definitely broke!

I come out of the bathroom and tell Ty that yes, I'm pretty sure that's what happened and he was just like, "okay, now what?" I told him we would need to get ready to go to the hospital, but that he had time to shower and get ready. So he head's upstairs and I do too to go change and by the time I made it to our bedroom the REAL contractions start happening and I'm bent over our bed in so much pain. OMG!!! That was the worst pain I'd ever felt in my life! I finally get to change and make it back downstairs. Stopping to bend over the bed, the couch, anything I can every couple of minutes. I lay down on the couch when Ty comes downstairs SWEATING like crazy and he was ready to go. So I tell him to get the bags and pillows in the hallway. He comes down with 1 bag. ONE out of three bags. And zero pillows!! haha! So I say, "All of the bags!" He goes and gets those, but still no pillows. So I say, "Pillows, too!" haha So he gets those, puts everything out in the car and helps me slowly make my way out there.

It probably took us no more than 8 minutes to get to the hospital and in those 8 minutes, I had about 3 contractions! Yowza! They hurt! He dropped me at the door to the OB entrance and I waited for him to park the car. We go up the elevator to the 3rd floor, after he tried to get me in a wheelchair, but I couldn't sit, that hurt worse than standing. We make it to the desk (at 1:30pm), Ty fills out paperwork and we are walked back into a room where they ask me to change into a gown. It takes me a good while to change because I can barely stand up. Ty eventually said, "do you want me to help you?" haha! I get changed. A doctor (couldn't tell you his name) comes in and asks what's going on and I tell him, "I'm pretty sure my water broke and I'm having contractions." He asked when I went to my OB last and how dialated I was. I told him last Wednesday and I was a 1. He said, "Well let's hope you're more than a 1!" Funny! I was more than a 1, I was a 2. haha So the next thing out of my mouth was, "When can I get an epidural??" I was so ready to not feel that pain anymore!

The next little bit was kind of a blur. They rolled me over to a delivery room, started and IV on me, got me hooked up to all the machines. Contractions were every 3-5 minutes and they HURT! Finally get my epidural around 3:30 or 4 and when it starts kicking in, it was so much better. They checked me again and I was at a 4. I started getting nauseous and was super tired. By this time, my mom, stepdad, Ty's parents, sister and her boyfriend, 1 of my sisters and 1 neice were all at the hospital. They were in the room talking to me and Ty and I tried to talk to them, but I was so tired, I just kind of laid there.


 
At one point, one of my nurses comes in and gives me oxygen and moves me around because Cruz's heartrate was staying pretty steady and they like it to bounce around. So they would give me oxygen for a while and then make me sit up, then lay me back down, take the oxygen off and it finally helped. They kept asking if I felt pressure down below like I needed to push and I kept saying no.

Krystal finally got there sometime around 7 maybe, (Sorry, Krystal, can't remember what time it was!) and I think I was talking to her when I started feeling really sick again. I told Ty and he brought over the wash basin and sure enough, I got sick. The nurses asked everyone to leave, (little did they know, they wouldn't be coming back until after Cruz arrived!) The nurse told me women usually get sick when they're fully dialated, so she checked me again and sure enough, I was at a 9.

She had me push a little when I'd have a contraction to move him lower maybe or see where he was exactly, I don't really know. They kept asking me if I felt pressure and I said no. My doctor was out of town, so another doctor from The Women's Center, Dr. Wilcox would be the one delivering Cruz. I hadn't met her until that day, but she seemed nice and all I really cared is that she was a doctor and she would get him out! Since I wasn't feeling any pressure, she said to have the anesthesiologist come in and lower my epidural to about half to see if I can start feeling anything. I was really worried about that thinking I was going to feel the contractions again, but it really wasn't bad. I could feel them at the top of my belly, but still nothing down below.

So, around 9:45 Dr. Wilcox comes back in and says we're just going to start pushing. I was just thinking, okay, here we go! Ty was sitting in the chair next to me and just stayed there. I think I started pushing around 9:54 or so, pushed through 1 or 2 contractions and his head was where you could see it (if you were down there), so the Dr asked Ty if he wanted to see him or touch him and he said NOPE! haha She asked if I wanted to touch is head and I was like, nooo... then one of the nurses said, "He's got a lot of hair!" and I said, "He does???" She said, "Yeah, you can probably feel it." So the next thing I  know I'm reaching down and touching his head! Ah! So weird, but I'm glad I did it! Pushed through 1 more contraction and at exactly 10:00pm, our precious baby boy was here! They put him up on my chest immediately and started suctioning his mouth, and he finally cried. The most precious sound in the world!

 Once I had my epidural and was feeling MUCH better!
 
 Daddy cutting the cord
 
 Our first family picture! :)
 
 Ty sent this pic to our families in the waiting room before they could come back to meet him.
 
Cruz Tyler Porter
7lbs 14oz
20 1/4"
10:00pm on 4/19/15 

We did skin to skin for about 45 minutes and then we tried nursing and he latched on right away! Thank goodness!

Our families finally got to come back and meet him and Ty finally got to hold him too! Seeing him hold our son for the first time, I'm pretty sure my heart just exploded with love! It's just unreal!

 
The rest of the family got to hold him quickly too. It was getting late, so most of them left, but Krystal, Kelsey and Maddie stayed until we got to our Mother/Baby room so they could hold him for a little bit too. Then headed back to our house to sleep.

Finally settled in our Mother/Baby room around 3 am. I was EXHAUSTED! 

The love of our lives!!
 
The sweetest face I ever did see! 

 Daddy, the baby whisperer. We had a rough night our second night there. He basically was cluster feeding already and if he wasn't nursing, he was screaming! Ty finally got him to calm down like this.
 
 
We stayed at the hospital until Tuesday afternoon and had a ton of visitors! It was great, but we were so ready to get home and get settled into our new life with our baby boy!
 
Family picture before we head out!
 
Teeny tiny thing, ready to go home!


We're home. We're happy. We're exhausted!
 
Ready to start our new life as a family of 3! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr. & Mrs.

Mr. & Mrs.