Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fall Weather = Soup for dinner!


At least in my mind that's what I think. :)
So, I decided to find some yummy (and easy) soup recipes to try out. I was looking at one of the food blogs I have on my blogs http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/ and found a recipe for Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Soup.
Sounded yummy.

Sounded easy.

Sign me up!

So, last night I decided to make it. I tweaked it a smidge and added like a tablespoon of butter (it didn't call for any and what kind of cheesy potato soup doesn't call for butter?? Gotta make it a little less healthy. haha) and a little more cheese.

I think it turned out REALLY, REALLY good. Ty took some to work last night, but he was asleep this morning before I got up, so I couldn't ask him what he thought.

Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Soup


5 Cups of diced potatoes
Water to cover potatoes
12 oz. chopped broccoli (we used frozen)
2 tsp. salt
½ tsp pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Place the diced potatoes in a large stockpot, sprinkle with salt and cover with water. Boil for about 30 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally, especially as the potatoes get softer.When the potatoes are tender, mash a few times with a potato masher. Then, add in the frozen broccoli. Allow the broccoli and potatoes to continue cooking for another 5ish minutes. Add the milk, and heat until the mixture simmers. Mash the soup a few more times with the potato masher, if desired. Then, remove from the heat. Stir in the pepper and the cheese and allow the hot soup to melt the cheese slowly.


1 comment:

  1. YUM!! Looks good!! I've already made potato soup, chicken and dumplings and chili in the past 3 weeks!! I love me some soup and the leftovers make good "bring my lunch to work" lunches!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Mr. & Mrs.

Mr. & Mrs.